LifeOnMars.TV is a fan-blog dedicated to all things, Life On Mars. It covers the original BBC series LifeOnMars, its spin-off AshesToAshes and David E Kelley's up-coming US Remake. The blog also covers general news about casting, merchandise, fanclubs, websites and other related news.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Gene 2: The Sequel or Hunting for Miles?


As you have probably guessed or perhaps even seen elsewhere, Gene Hunt has finally been cast for David E Kelley's US Remake. I have known this for a while and if you read the previous post, you will understand why this one has taken a little longer than expected to appear. Pesky viruses and spyware, I'm not going to go on and on about it here. I already did that in the last post. Any way, Gene.

Philip Glenister gave us the phrase in his role of DCI Hunt, "Trust the Gene-Genie!". His new US counterpart may have something similar up his sleeve, "Trust the Gene-Meanie!". Now I'm being stupid, but hey it could happen as the role has gone to none other than Colm Meaney. That's right Colm Meaney, and I think the producers have made a fine choice here as well. Why? Well Colm which many of you know as Cheif Miles O'Brien from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, has already done a stint as Gene before.

In 2004, Colm starred as Gene in the movie Layer Cake along with Daniel Craig of James Bond fame. To the many Doctor Who fans who frequent this site as well, Colm has a connection to time travel but not just from Star Trek. Layer Cake also stars Burn Gorman, who plays Owen Harper in Torchwood. Degrees of separation, oh well I guess we can blame Kevin Bacon for that one. You know what I mean, I hope.

At this point I would like to congratulate Colm, on securing one of the industries most sought after roles. I am sure he will do a great take on Gene, but as to Colm filling Phil's shoes. All I can say is there is only one Gene-Genie, now prepare for the Gene Meanie. Some other casting information has been discovered as well from checking the Showfax website. It appears that either Chris and Ray's parts have either been renamed or cut and replaced by a Det. John Smollers and Det. George Randall. So there is no US Div, but is Marshall Lancaster crying over it? I sincerely doubt this.

One more thing to note is that the US pilot, seems to be a complete remake of the original story as the criminal in it also goes by the name of Colin Raimes and Sam's girlfriend is still Maya. Hmm, I wonder if the young Colin Raimes will have a head like a weather balloon, like his UK counterpart. That's mean isn't it? Well I guess I'm just a Meaney, now Gene is too. 'Til next time Martians peace, I Meaney it!



Cyberman

No comments:

LifeOnMars Search

Google Custom Search